What Are the Pros and Cons of Gum Disease Treatments?
Gum disease treatment depends on several factors, including the severity of the disease and the patient’s symptoms. It is important to start treating gum disease as early as possible to control infection, prevent permanent gum damage, and prevent tooth loss. There are numerous gum disease treatment options, including professional cleaning, antibiotics, scaling and root planing, and restorations. To understand what gum disease treatment option is better for you, Anjum A. Ansari D.M.D General & Cosmetic Dentistry, located in Boston, Massachusetts, prepared a list of pros and cons of each of them:
It is recommended to get a professional cleaning at least once a year. It is good for everyone, regardless of their age and gender.
- Stops gum disease
- Promotes healthy gums
- Prevents tooth loss
- Protects roots of teeth
- Fights bad breath
- Screens you for oral cancer
- Risk of infection after the procedure
- Risk of nerve damage (very rarely)
- May cause gum recession
Antibiotics are used either alone or in combination with other gum treatments.
- Effective for killing infections
- Prevent infections from occurring again
- They are fast-acting and begin working within a few hours
- They are easy to take
- The body can build resistance to medications, which makes them less effective
- The risk of damage to the body’s immune system, especially if antibiotics are being taken for a long period
- They may have side effects
Scaling and Root Planing
- Protects roots and teeth from harmful bacteria
- Prevents gum disease from advancing
- Fights bad breath
- It is not recommended to patients with a suppressed immune system
- It can be uncomfortable
- It requires more than one appointment
- It can be done in one session
- Durable and long-lasting
- Depending on the type of tooth restoration, it can sometimes cause prolonged bleeding and delayed bone healing.
At Anjum A. Ansari D.M.D General & Cosmetic Dentistry – We Take Care of Your Gums
If you are looking for a dental office specializing in gum treatments in Boston, Massachusetts, Anjum A. Ansari, D.M.D. and her team at Anjum A. Ansari D.M.D General & Cosmetic Dentistry is here for you. We offer different types of gum disease treatments and use the latest technology and modern equipment. The teeth and gum health of our patients is our priority. If you have any questions or want to schedule your first appointment with a dentist focusing on complete oral health, you can reach us at (617) 581-0689.